1. In a small saucepan, bring the quinoa, milk, water, and salt to a boil for 2 minutes.
2. Reduce, heat to low and cover for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, melt the Earth Balance spread. Add the apple, stir together until evenly coated, and saute for 1 minute. Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until soft
4. Add the cinnamon and walnuts and cook for 1 additional minute.
5. Stir in the apple mixture with the quinoa, and divide between two bowls.
6. Drizzle the agave nectar on top and enjoy!
*Helpful Hint* Quinoa is a South American grain that needs to be rinsed well before cooking. Quinoa has a natural coating that can make the cooked grains bitter and mushy if they are not washed first.
*Variations* For a simple change, cook the quinoa as directed above, but omit the apple and Earth Balance spread. Gently fold blackberries and cinnamon into the quinoa, and top with walnuts, agave nectar, and shredded coconut.
The above is an excerpt from the book The Lean: A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss by Kathy Freston. The above excerpt is a digitally scanned reproduction of text from print. Although this excerpt has been proofread, occasional errors may appear due to the scanning process. Please refer to the finished book for accuracy.
Copyright © 2012 Kathy Freston, author of The Lean: A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss
Kathy Freston, author of The Lean: A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss, is a bestselling author with a focus on healthy eating and conscious living. Her instant New York Times bestsellers include Veganist, Quantum Wellness, and The One. She has appeared frequently on national television, including The Dr. Oz Show, Ellen, Good Morning America, The View, Charlie Rose, Extra and Oprah. She lives in Los Angeles.
For more information please visit http://www.kathyfreston.com, and follow the author on Facebook and Twitter