Salted Herring Ingredients
- Fresh-frozen herring 2 kg.
- Salt 3 tbsp. spoons with a slide
- Sugar 1 tbsp. a spoon
- Bay leaf 6 pcs.
- Vinegar 6% 1 tsp
- Black pepper 10 peas
- Coriander 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds 0.5 tsp
- Main Ingredients
- Serving 8 servings
- World Cuisine
Inventory:Saucepan, Kitchen knife, Cutting board, Bank (3 liter capacity), Spoon
Preparation of salted herring:
Step 1: Preliminary preparation of herring.Freshly frozen fish must first be allowed to thaw at room temperature. After that, place the herring carcasses in a bowl and rinse it thoroughly under running water. We put the fish on a cutting board and first cut off its head. Then, very carefully, with a sharp knife, make an incision in the abdominal part so that it is possible to gut all the insides of the herring without difficulty, which we do. After these actions, the carcass must be washed again, and on the inside as well. In the same way we clean all the fish.
Step 2: Cooking the marinade.
Step 3: Salting herring.The easiest way to prepare salted herring at home is to use a 3-liter glass jar. Its convenience lies in the fact that the bottle is tightly closed and is advantageous in its shape, so there is no need to make an additional press. Of course, you can use other utensils (a bowl, pan), but in this case it will be necessary to close it very tightly (for example, with a suitable size plate), and also create a pressure mass on top or, in other words, a press. They can serve as a can of water or another improvised heavy object. We spread the carcasses of herring in a clean dish and pour them with a cooled marinade. The container is tightly closed, and the fish is left for salting at room temperature for 2 days.
Step 4: Serve the salted herring.
- - If it so happened that in two days the herring was more salty than you love, then this can be fixed. Put the fish in cold boiled water for 30 minutes, and its taste will become much more tender, and the taste of salt is weaker. But when re-cooking the dish, keep in mind that either you need to reduce the amount of salt in the recipe, or reduce the time spent in the marinade.
- - In order to store the finished herring in the refrigerator, you need to put it in a jar or tightly closed dishes and pour a solution of vegetable oil and brine, in which the fish was pickled in a 1: 1 ratio. There you can add onions, sliced in rings. Then at any time you can enjoy the spicy taste of a traditional Russian snack, just by taking it out of your refrigerator.
- - The fish will pickle much faster if you first cut it into portions. But you need to consider that with this method of cooking, its taste will be significantly modified. In a classic way, herring is salted in its entirety.